Sunday, September 18, 2011

Violence and Self-doubt

This week I watched as a grandmother pulled an 8 year old student of mine into our classroom and beat him with a four foot long cable. 10 minutes of plastic coated metal tearing the flesh. 10 minutes of me sitting. I did not know what to do. Two of my colleagues who are my superiors and were also in the room (both Thai teachers with communication capabilities) did not move or plead with the guardian to halt the violence. No, instead they offered clam conversation with the abuser from their seated positions.

I remained bolted to the ground by fear, confusion, uncertainty and it is fair to say- cowardice. I took the easy choice and did nothing and remained where I was. Would have it been culturally insensitive to intervene? It likely would have risked violence onto myself, the humiliation of my colleagues and the swift departure of their trust and respect of me. Yet to intervene would have been to adhere to my values...I find it difficult to live up to my values in this work setting.

The entire purpose of this year is to gain that elusive trust and slowly develop this classroom and the teaching styles used. Am I doing that? I feel broken.

1 comment:

  1. Luuuukaaaas! That sounds like a nightmare! Like the dream of someone who is afraid to go through with something in real life. I don't know what I would have done either. But you can't let the fear of rejection override your values. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you put human decency over individual success, no? You know this about yourself, it's part of your emotional makeup. But you can't let it break you. You are given the opportunity through the nature of your job to combat the system and backwards traditions through questions.

    If the DG program taught me anything it was to always question "Why?". Ask yourself why this beating happened, why no one else stopped it, and why you SHOULDN'T step in to defend your values and the sake of another individual next time.

    ReplyDelete